Lincoln City is just big enough to have what you may need without having to drive long distances yet it is small enough to still maintain much of it’s “beach town” feel.
In the years that we have been visiting, we have stayed in hotels and vacation rentals, have eaten at many of the restaurants in town, walked the miles and miles of beaches, shopped at the souvenir shops, visited the galleries, and on each visit had an absolutely great time. So this post is going to give you a few of my favorite things to do in Lincoln City… Additional will follow and by all means enter your comments of things that you love to do when you are here.
1. Finders Keepers Glass Float Hunt – Each year starting in October glass floats by local glass blowing artists are placed on the beach to be found by beachcombers. Each year they add an additional float so in 2014-15 there will be 2015 floats to be found from mid October until Memorial Day.
2. Kite Flying – There is almost always one certainty on the Oregon Coast and that is that it will be windy. This makes for some great kite flying and there are a number of local shops where you can purchase a kite to fly. There are also Kite festivals in June and October that feature kites being flown to music and some really impressive display kites.
3. Whale Watching – December-January and March-June are great Gray Whale watching times. I actually love to go to Depot Bay which is just south of Lincoln City (boasts of having the smallest harbor in the world) and watch from the whale watching center that is located there. I’m told there are 40-50 Whales that make the Newport to Lincoln City area their home and can be seen year round so don’t dismay if you can’t get there during the migrations.
4. There are a lot of Galleries in Lincoln City area… glass is pretty prevalent. My favorite is the Freed Gallery on the south side of town. A number of years ago I absolutely fell in love with their wind sculpture forest, and I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of a wind sculpture for my birthday a few years later. Many artists are featured and the gallery is different every time you visit.
5. Lincoln city also has many restaurants that are worth mentioning. We used to love to go to Dory Cove when it was down in Road’s End. It is still pretty good but we miss the old ambiance and neighborhood feel of the new place. Blackfish Cafe has great food. We like lunch there always something unique. Kyllo’s has great ambiance and great seafood and it is right on the water at the D River (shortest river in the world), Wildflower Grill on the North End of town is absolutely fabulous and is located in a cottage that overlooks the wetlands. There are many many others these are just a few of my favorites.
If you are looking for accommodations while in Lincoln City check out our Oceanfront Rental Condos – “Seas the Day” and “SandSational” at Lincoln City Beach Retreats